Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eleanor’s words of wisdom

Inspiration comes from all places...even in the bathroom at my therapist’s office (you're shocked that I have a therapist? Although it's still fairly new, I've learned that everyone should be blessed with a good therapist but that’s a post for another day!). On the bathroom wall, there's a corkboard with different inspirational quotes and words. Here’s one of the quotes on the wall:

"Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt

I’ve read the quote hundreds of times but Tuesday’s encounter (with the quote!) has stayed with me and has me thinking (big surprise!)... is fear holding me back from living my best life? I am definitely a creature of habit...same restaurants, same routes to frequent destinations, same routine every day...is that a by-product of fear? What would happen if I stepped outside of my comfort zone? How do I live my best life without fear and without worrying that the risk outweighs the benefit?

As of today, whenever possible (I don’t want the pressure of having to do one thing that scares me every day!), I will try do something that scares me or something that I have never done before or something I haven’t done in a long time because a) I haven’t had the time or the energy, b) for fear of being judged or ridiculed, c) because I didn’t think I could do it, d) because I didn't know about it or e) because I thought the risk outweighed the benefit. My new rule will be “don’t say no to a new opportunity right away (at least think about it!) and proactively seek out new opportunities”. Here are some examples:

  • Go at least a day without making my bed
  • Go to bed without doing the dishes
  • Learn to play the piano
  • Make snow angels
  • Go tobogganing
  • Go a day without sugar
  • Go to a karaoke bar and sing
  • Cross the street on a red light (when there are no cars obviously!)
  • Draw
  • Paint
  • Write a book (one page at a time!)
  • Go to the movies alone

Any other suggestions? What have you done that you were initially too scared to do? How did it make you feel?

Well, I can say with certainty that writing a blog seemed scary to me but I did it!  Here I am, 21 posts later, and I’m still writing!  It feels good :)

This week, I was asked to play in a "celebrity" hockey game on February 12th (by celebrity, I mean, no other "celebrities" were available so they asked me!). Yes, I can skate (does figure skating count?). Yes, I can hold a hockey stick (ahem!). Yes, I can hit a puck with a hockey stick. The question is: can I skate (in figure skates!) while handling the puck with the hockey stick surrounded by people who are fighting (not literally I hope!) for said puck?  Probably not!  Did I mention that this game would be played in front of a crowd of people???  Talk about fear!!!  But have no fear, I have a plan...surprise!

Step 1: Be prepared (what can I say...Girl Guides trained me well!) so tomorrow I will be purchasing a pair of hockey skates, a hockey stick and a puck (is hockey like golf...do I need a dozen pucks to get started?).
Step 2: Practice skating in new skates.
Song break - Typing Step 1 and Step 2 resulted in me singing the New Kids on The Block song...yes, I was a fan...surprised? Step 1, we can have lots of fun. Step 2, there's so much we can do...
Step 3: Practice skating in new skates while holding hockey stick.
Step 4: Practice skating in new skates while controlling the puck with hockey stick.
Step 5: Practice skating in new skates (at this point are they still new?) while controlling the puck with hockey stick and hitting (slapping?) the puck into the net (she shoots, she scores!).
Step 6: Practice slamming (or is it checking?) people into the wall boards.
Step 7: Practice slamming (checking?) people into the boards while skating and holding a hockey stick :)

Okay, so I have exactly 4 weeks to transform into Tracey Cusack-Gretzky!!!

I'm sure the game will be videotaped so I'll post some footage of me falling scoring playing.  Since it’s a celebrity game, I’m sure there will be paparazzi and film crews present so getting video footage for my blog shouldn't be a problem (that was 100% sarcasm but I am hoping someone at the game will be videotaping...especially if I score!). 

Speaking of scoring...tonight I will be going to a fundraising event but sadly I'm going alone (I will be meeting another Board member at the event so I won’t look like a complete loser!). Of course, walking into a room full of people alone is scary but it doesn’t stop me from going (I've gotten used to it because even when I was in relationships I attended events alone!). The good thing about going solo to events (yes, there's usually a silver lining!) is that you're available to meet a man! Possibly even the man of your dreams...could tonight be the night???

"If you want to conquer fear, don't sit home and think about it." - Dale Carnegie

1 comment: