Sunday, February 13, 2011

She shoots, she scores

On January 15th, I blogged about my upcoming "celebrity" hockey game (see blog post "Eleanor's Words of Wisdom").  At the time, I had naive good intentions of doing the following in preparation for my big bomb debut in hockey: 

Step 1: Be prepared (what can I say...Girl Guides trained me well!) so tomorrow I will be purchasing a pair of hockey skates, a hockey stick and a puck (is hockey like golf...do I need a dozen pucks to get started?).
Step 2: Practice skating in new skates.
Song break - Typing Step 1 and Step 2 resulted in me singing the New Kids on The Block song...yes, I was a fan...surprised? Step 1, we can have lots of fun. Step 2, there's so much we can do...
Step 3: Practice skating in new skates while holding hockey stick.
Step 4: Practice skating in new skates while controlling the puck with hockey stick.
Step 5: Practice skating in new skates (at this point are they still new?) while controlling the puck with hockey stick and hitting (slapping?) the puck into the net (she shoots, she scores!).
Step 6: Practice slamming (or is it checking?) people into the wall boards.
Step 7: Practice slamming (checking?) people into the boards while skating and holding a hockey stick :)

Okay, so I have exactly 4 weeks to transform into Tracey Cusack-Gretzky!!!

Well, those 4 weeks passed without ANY preparation!  I didn't skate, I didn't skate while holding the stick (ahem!) nor did I skate while holding the stick and moving the puck!  It's also important to note that I didn't even buy hockey stakes, a stick or a puck (thankfully one of my besties lent me her hockey stick and gloves)!  Regardless of my procrastination lack of preparation, yesterday I made my big debut into the world of MEN's hockey (yes, I was the only girl playing!) and I'm proud to say that...wait for it...I scored!!!  I know, I know...my double entendre has caused some confusion (dirty minds!). 

After the hockey game, I posted the following on Facebook:

Tracey played hockey today with a bunch of men, and scored :P

In addition to the "likes" this statement received, I also had a few requests for clarification on "how I scored".  So I'm here to set the record straight...I SCORED A GOAL!  While I'm bragging, I should also tell you that I had two assists.  I do, however, believe I was given too much credit for those two goals but I guess that's what happens when you're the only girl on the ice!  I must admit that the hockey game was....wait for it...LEGEN - - - DARY (that was my homage to Barney on "How I Met Your Mother"!). 

I'm so proud that I didn't fall on my ass was able to overcome my fear of playing hockey with a bunch of men while a "crowd" watched especially since I was the only one wearing figure skates on the ice :P

Although I was afraid of getting slammed into the boards, the only slamming (ahem!) into the boards that occured was self-inflicted (sad, I know!). 

I know, I know, you're wondering if there's any footage of my shockingly impressive hockey skills.  Well, I'm happy (???) to say that there is video footage thanks to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada my BFF who recorded a short video of me "warming up" before the scary big game (thanks to BFF for the video but mostly for cheering me on!).  Before you check out the video, please remember that the camera adds 10, 20 or possibly 30 lbs depending on the size of your screen! Oh yeah, I'm also wearing lots of layers to stay warm :)



Have I no shame? Impressive, don't you think?  Once this video is posted, I suspect I will be getting a call from the Canadian Women's Hockey Team with a recruitment offer :)

Well, now that I've survived playing hockey, what's next for me?  Alpine skiing? Race car driving? Sky diving?  Bungee jumping?  Marathons? Marrying Meeting John Cusack? Tobogganing? Eating sugar? Playing hockey in hockey skates? Karaoke? Reading War and Peace

Who knows what the future holds?  But what I do know is that playing hockey yesterday has increased my confidence to try something new.  Yesterday's experience made me believe that there is a kind of comfort in discomfort.  I remember reading somewhere (I can't remember where so I'm paraphrasing!) that "you are only able to grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable" so I believe that yesterday provided an opportunity for growth :)

What about you?  Are you willing to try something new?

Well, I do know what the future holds for me tonight or tomorrow morning...I will be shovelling (again!) because the weatherman (ahhhhh...Ian Black!) is calling for 15 - 20 centimeters of snow overnight (ugh!). 

P.S.  Wow...I just noticed that this is my 50th blog post!  Happy 50th ~ Just as you are ~ !!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! That looks like SO much fun. I'm not sure if it's the home movie thing, or my sick sense of fun, but I was waiting for you to smack the puck at BFF at the end there ;o)

    Congrats on the goal and the 50th post! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congradulations Tracey ( ROCKET ) Beauregard. YOu notice that I compared you to Maurice "Rocket" Richard, that's because I'm old and he was the greatest player of my era. Maybe I should refer to you as Tracey " THE GIRL " Beauregard but that would take away from the great feat that you accomplished on that rink.One goal and two assists and a lot more accomplishments in your future.Love you babe.Dad.

    ReplyDelete