Friday, February 4, 2011

Head in the toilet

This morning, I snapped a photo of my cat drinking out of the toilet.  How cute is he and how gross is that?  Does it remind you of a time when you had your head in the toilet (not me…ahem!)? 

Caught in the act!

Do you mind?

Ever wonder why cats drink out of the toilet?  It’s not because the cat’s water bowl is empty. The water in the bowl isn’t any different than the water in the toilet (maybe some additional bacteria in the toilet water!).  Is it because the water in the toilet is colder and “fresher” as opposed to the water in the cat bowl that is refreshed once maybe twice a day?  Why does it really matter to a cat if the water is cold or room temperature?  Do cats enjoy water tainted with yummy bacteria?  Please note that I meticulously clean my toilet (with a toilet brush!) once or twice weekly so it’s as clean as it can get!  Makes me wonder though…should I be cleaning it every day or even after every use?  Your feedback would be much appreciated!  It seems we don’t really take the time to discuss toilet bowl cleaning etiquette so let’s start now!  The most important question I have about cats drinking out of the toilet is….wait for it…would a stupid cat drink out of the toilet if someone forgot to flush? I’m sure mine wouldn’t because he’s smart like me but it does make me wonder!

Thoughts about toilet water got me thinking (surprise!) about the fact that there are so many people in the world who don’t have drinking water yet we flush our drinking water down the toilet (literally!)

We are currently facing a global water crisis, and yes, I know that I’m unable to stop globalization, but I am capable of conserving water (we all are!) which is almost as important as resolving the world’s water crisis.  I didn’t start writing this blog to preach but having started this dialogue about water, I thought it would be a great opportunity to share some interesting links to water-related websites, books, movies and videos.   

100 ways to conserve water:

Water justice:

An interesting video that looks at alternatives – the Lifesaver Bottle (let’s not just talk about water conservation!):

A great TVO video with Maude Barlow (a Canadian star!):

What about bottled water?  Do we really know what’s in that bottle?  Well, Polaris Institute has made a tremendous effort to raise awareness about the impacts of bottled water on the environment (and our health!), and that work has resulted in bottled water being banned in institutions such as schools and at municipal meetings.  Check out their website:  http://www.insidethebottle.org/

Check out the following documentaries about the water crisis: Flow: For Love Of Water, Blue Gold: World Water Wars, and Waterlife (narrated by The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie)

Check out the following books about the water crisis: Blue Gold: The Battle Against Corporate Theft of World's Water by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke, Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water by Maude Barlow, Water: The Fate of Our Most Precious Resource by Marq De Villiers.

Do you have any other links or resources that you'd like to share?

Who knew that a photo of my cat drinking out of the toilet would lead to a discussion about the world’s water crisis?  Well, I feel drained now (get it…drained?) so I think I’m going to do what I do best when I’m feeling stressed, I’m going to go take a bath now (I’m not a hypocrite if I only take one bath a month, right?) but while I’m soaking, I will start thinking about ways to recycle the bath water.  Hmmmm...how can I use my bath water to flush my toilet?  Or water my plants? Or wash my dishes?  :)

Since my cats demand equal opportunities, here's a photo of my other lovely cat:


I don't drink out of the toilet because I'm too fat!


No comments:

Post a Comment