Saturday, April 30, 2011

inspiring~poetry~inspired

Inspiration comes from all places, right?  I guess many artists would say that they’ve been inspired by people, things, nature, situations, art, books, poems and events but I really can't relate because I've certainly never considered myself to be an artist or inspired by anything other than people.  Actually, I could easily say that I’ve never really understood how artists do artistic stuff (I know, I know, I probably could have come up with something better than "how artists do artistic stuff" but I'm not artsy enough to come up with something else!).  For example, my daughter and I have been camping a few times in Bon Echo Provincial Park.  I find the park to be absolutely breathtaking but I don’t think it has ever inspired me to be creative as the propaganda for the park implies:  “Long a favourite destination for painters and photographers, this park is renowned for Mazinaw Rock. This 1.5-kilometre sheer rock face rises 100 metres above Mazinaw Lake, and features over 260 native pictographs - the largest visible collection in Canada. Spend a day or plan overnight adventures in this hiking and canoeing paradise of deep, blue lakes, sandy beaches, granite outcrops and lush green forests.”   Walt Whitman’s poetry was even chiseled into the face of the Rock in foot-tall lettering in 1919.   My guess is that his words probably add to the inspiration provided by the natural environment but not for me. 

Is there something wrong with me?   My inspiration has always come from family and friends (how could you not be inspired by other people and their gifts/talents?).   These inspirational people in my life don’t “get my creative juices flowing” but rather, simply make me want to be a better person (isn’t that what inspiring people do?).  But all that changed in the last few months when I…wait for it…watched Bridget Jones’ Diary!!! Remember my first blog post?  “Inspired by Bridget Jones???”.   That’s right, Bridget Jones somehow inspired me to be an “artist”.  UGH!!!  Let’s not get too excited because by using the word “artist” what I really mean is that I was inspired to be creative.  So first came the creation of my “Just as you are” blog, then came my creative idea to morph the photos of my beloved(s) John Cusack and Colin Firth in “Love Actually…John Cusack or Colin Firth”, then came the drawing in “The Accidental Artist”, then came the poem in “This is me, and I can’t forget about the many photos of my food that I’ve posted which could be considered “photography” which is an“art”, right?  So yes, I think it’s safe to say that I have been inspired to not only be a better person but to be a creative artist (said with my best French accent which is pretty comical considering I’m a francophone!). 

Okay, so realistically speaking, I never said that I was a talented “creative artist”, and I certainly don’t have to tell you that I’m not a poet.  Remember my first attempt at poetry…”This is me”? Maybe some of you may not consider that to be "poetry" so let’s say it’s a mix between poetry, slam poetry and a rap (can’t you picture me at a slam poetry competition “reciting” my “poem”? But really, can’t you???).   Couldn't we describe poetry the same way we describe beauty - "it's in the eye/ear of the beholder"?  Really though, what is poetry? Well, I’m so glad you asked!  After some extensive research, I found the following on Wikipedia:

Poetry often uses particular forms and conventions to suggest alternative meanings in the words, or to evoke emotional or sensual responses. Devices such as assonance, alliteration, onomatopoeia, and rhythm are sometimes used to achieve musical or incantatory effects. The use of ambiguity, symbolism, irony, and other stylistic elements of poetic diction often leaves a poem open to multiple interpretations. Similarly, metaphor, simile, and metonymy create a resonance between otherwise disparate images—a layering of meanings, forming connections previously not perceived. Kindred forms of resonance may exist, between individual verses, in their patterns of rhyme or rhythm.

Yay for me!  I am a poet and I didn’t even know it :)

Come to think of it, "This is me" wasn’t actually my first attempt at poetry.  I believe this was my first poem (EVER!):

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I know that John Cusack
Secretly loves me!

Okay, so I may not have any poetic talent but I’ve been blessed with many poets in my life, and I also have a great appreciation for poetry (especially when it’s a “love” poem that has been written to me…ahem!).   I know I’m side-tracking a bit (surprise!) but isn’t there something magical about a man who writes or recites poetry for/to you?  Yes, I'm single (surprise!). Okay, back to the wonderful poets in my life…my uncle/godfather is a published francophone poet (he even dedicated his last book to my daughter...what an honour!), my brother is a brilliant (and humble!) poet, and my daughter has been writing poetry since she learned how to write.  Besides my talented family, my favourite poets are Rumi (one of my very first blog posts was his poem “Looking for your face”) ), Khalil Gibran, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost and E.E. Cummings (my fave!). 

Although I would love to post poems written by my uncle, brother and daughter, I’m guessing they’d be pissed (probably not my uncle since he’s published!) so instead, I will dedicate a Robert Frost poem to my brother then I will share my very first poems that were inspired by…wait for it…nature!  Of course, I’m going to dedicate the poems to my daughter (shouldn’t all poetry be dedicated to someone?).   Before I share my poems with you, I’d like to challenge my fellow left-brainers to start using the right side of your brains (trust me, you'll like it!).  What will inspire you to get creative?

To my brother – every day, you inspire me (I know you love this poem!):

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Now the drum roll please….

While sitting on a rock next to the stream that runs through my town (that sounds like the title of one of my favourite books – “By the River Piedra I sat down and wept”), the following two poems came to me (seriously out of nowhere!) so that’s why I’m assuming (without “making an ass out of you and me”!) that nature was the inspiration for these poems (and no doubt inspired by other poets)!  I, of course, dedicate these poems to my daughter (whether she likes it or not, she’s the most inspirational person in my life!). 

P.S. Don’t get too excited…they’re just words bunched together to form what some would consider a poem :)


THE JOURNEY TO A QUIET MIND
by Tracey

While standing there, in silence and stillness,
I could feel the earth thaw.
For a moment, I was the earth.

In the depths of meditation,
I was as still as a stone statue.
In that moment, I may have turned to stone.

As I sat, in silence, watching the rushing stream,
I observed a leaf floating by.
In that moment, I was the leaf.


MY JOURNEY
by Tracey

A leaf
Floating along in the stream
Gets stuck to a branch
Submerged in the stream
The leaf is trapped there
Until a gust of wind
Or a strong current
Comes along
To release it

Some leaves are happy
Staying stuck to the branch
While others
Patiently wait
To be released

Sometimes
When the wind
Or current
Is strong enough
The branch will also be released
Along with the leaf

In that moment
I pray
That someday
I will be
The strong wind
Or strong current
That releases
The trapped branch and leaf

4 comments:

  1. You definitely have a Poetic side my dear Sister, I was moved by both. My Sister is a Poet how the hell didn't I know it? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for being single... stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits, or perverts.

    Titspervert. Titspervert.....Fitzherbert! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you forgot "angry narcissistic assholes" :D

    P.S. I'm not a poet that's why you didn't know it but thanks for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn I knew I forgot one.

    p.s. Your poems speaks otherwise, I loved them. :)

    ReplyDelete