Wednesday, March 9, 2011

This is me

After posting ~ I am woman ~ on my blog yesterday, my level of awareness was rather high, thus making me extremely sensitive to the struggles faced by women around the world.  I couldn't help but think about my responsibility as a woman, as a mother, as a daughter, as a sister, as a friend and as a colleague.  As I was thinking about solidarity, I couldn't help but wonder why we are so disconnected from one another.  Is it because we spend so much time judging each other instead of supporting each other?  Does judgement impede our ability to achieve, to produce or to affect positive change TOGETHER?  Is self-judgement as destructive as judging others? Imagine what we could accomplish if we withheld our judgements of each other and of ourselves?  Must we bare all, once and for all, with the hope of being open to helping and supporting one another?  Well, today I’m baring it all...


This is me.
I am woman.

I may have a double chin and sometimes even three and a half.
And my nose may be the envy of ski slopes around the world. 
My teeth may be crooked and a shade of off-white. 
My thighs may be thunderous. 
My butt extra-large. 
While a six pack may be hidden under those layers of fat.
My feet fit in whopping size 11 shoes and boots.  
My breasts may be too large for some, but does that make me fat?   
My clothes are a size large, and I’m not physically fit.
I’m not model thin, hence to some I’m obese.
And to some, I may not be a very good poet. 
Don't you think I know it?
Some say I'm too controlling.
To some I’m not so sexy.
And to some, my laugh is way too loud.
But that's just to some.

In the eyes of the people I love, I’m perfect.
Just as I am. 

My chins are only there to help my neck support my head.
A head, I might add, that is filled with an abundance of functioning brain cells.
My nose allows me to (stop and) smell the (fair-trade) roses, mint and basil.
Or a freshly-baked loaf of bread or apple pie.
And let's not forget the pheromones you release when you are nearby. 
My teeth may not be perfect but they are still mine for chewing. 
I'm able to eat with them and flash them when smiling :)
My thighs are strong; making my legs surprisingly flexible. 
Not to mention that those thighs fill out my jeans perfectly.
While my butt ensures I’m always seated comfortably. 
The fat on my body keeps me warm, and means there’s more for you to love. 
My size 11 feet keep me well-balanced and my breasts, well, they’re real.
My size 14 clothes mean that my shopping options have doubled.
I can shop for clothes in “regular-sized” or “plus sized” women’s stores.
My lack of physical activity means that I have more time to spend with family and friends, to read, to cook, and to sleep. 
While not being model thin means that I can eat and enjoy the food that I prepare.
Obesity is a subjective medical term with no consistent definition.
Besides, I think I’m well-proportioned at 5' 9”.
As for not being a poet, again, don't you think I know it? 
And yes, I am sometimes controlling but it gets the job done.
When it comes to being sexy, there are men (and women!) who think I am.
Besides, isn't sexy just a state of mind?
As for my laugh, well, it's me. 
I think it brings out my bea-u-u-u-u-ty.  

But really, who cares what size I wear or how often I work out or about the size of my...nose?

What really matters is that I’m healthy, I’m happy, I’m successful, and I'm truly blessed with so many amazingly wonderful people in my life!

But there's still so much more to me...

I’m kind, loving, caring, gentle and sweet.
I'm smart, I'm funny, and I'm filled with emotions.  
I cannot tell a lie without getting caught.
I love my family and friends with every part of my being.
I’m vulnerable, I'm naive and I’ve made plenty of mistakes.
I'm sensitive, I worry too much and I sometimes lack self-esteem. 
I love animals, I care about our planet and I'm a dreamer.
I work hard but probably don't play hard enough.  
I’m loyal, passionate, romantic and fun. 
I'm hopeful, compassionate, and forgiving.
I hope to always be true to my morals, my values and my ideals.
I’m a good mother, a good daughter, a good sister and a good friend.
Okay, some may even say I'm not good, I’m great. 
That’s right, I’m a phenomenal woman.
If you don't like what you see, I really don’t care.
For what you can't see is what really matters most.   

Please don't judge.
It’s my promise to you. 

This is me. 

~ Tracey

2 comments:

  1. Tracey, you're absolutely perfect, just as you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, Ronna is absolutely right on. You are the most wonderful person that I know.The " YOU " that we know is the one we love, respect and admire.You are the envy of every one that crosses your path.Love you with all our heart.Dad.

    ReplyDelete