Sunday, January 19, 2020

I QUIT

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." 
                      ~ Winston Churchill 

Yes, I quit. I quit Tinder. And it's probably not what you think.

Day 19: January 12, 2020

After posting "Bots and scammers, oh my!", I jumped right back into the Tinder game and sent Blue Jay a message.

Go Tracey, Go Tracey, Go Tracey 💃

Tinder metrics: 9 matches; 2 messages; 2 of interest (Blue Jay and Local Boy 3.0)

Oh wait, there's a new update on my Tinder metrics (yes, I know, that was very fast!): 8 matches, 1 message

Blue Jay has already disappeared.

I don’t get it.

Why swipe right if you’re just going to disappear before we even chat?

Really irks me. Tinder is obviously not the right platform for me.

Just annoying.

No F-bombs though.

Just numb.

Breathe.

This is stupid.

Thankfully, my bubble of annoyance popped with a laugh. It's really not that funny, it's kinda really sad. But made me chuckle.

A new man just liked my profile and his photos were of...wait for it...Juan Pablo from The Bachelor with his daughter.

Taken directly from Juan Pablo's Instagram profile. Can you believe it?!?

Come on buddy, why can’t you just be you?

Update: 8 matches; 1 message; 0 interest

Added two new matches:

  • 3000 - he's 3,000 kms away (why swipe right, right?) so I'm curious to know where he lives
  • Buff - he only has one pic and he's wearing sunglasses but he looks like a cutie and it appears we went to the same college.  

Update: 10 matches; 1 message; 1 interest - curious to know where 3000 lives

Forget it, decided to unmatch one.

Came close to unmatching them all and shutting ‘er down

9 matches; 1 message (still waiting to hear from Local Boy 3.0); 1 interest

Tinder is so weird. I just don’t get it.

When I swipe right on someone, it means I’m interested in chatting with them. But once there’s a match, it’s rare that the man will start the conversation. And when I start the conversation, it’s radio silence.

What is the point of all this?

People enjoy swiping?!? The thrill of the swipe?!?

Sounds dirty, I know. But really?

Why are people swiping if they don’t want to chat with you???

Maybe it's true - Tinder is just for hook-ups?!? 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m so frustrated.

I'm hiding it well, right? 😝

12 days to go

I started the torture experiment on the 25th so the experiment will end on the 24th.

Oh what will I do with all the free time, space and energy that’s been filled with all things Tinder?!?



Day 20: January 13, 2020

Happy birthday, Dad 💖💖💖

After celebrating Dad's birthday, I went home and opened Tinder.

I know, I know, why would I want to ruin such an amazing day?!? 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 more matches:

  • Blue Eyes - he only had one pic and no write-up but those blue eyes were stunning and he’s only 14 kms away so I'm curious about him. 
  • Workout Boy -  I’m pretty sure I matched with him before but he’s a cutie so why not - I feel like I have nothing to lose, right?!?

11 matches; 2 messages; 0 interest

Oh yes, I remember why I opened Tinder: Buff sent me a message shortly after I got home

I matched with him yesterday.

Only one pic and no write up, and in his pic he’s wearing sunglasses. Come on, Buff! No clue why I swiped right. Oh yeah, he appears to be a cutie and we went to the same college.

But it's possible I'm now in a state of Tinder delirium. It’s a thing, right? Well let’s see what he has to say.

Still nothing from Local Boy 3.0 (argh!)

Oh wait Blue Eyes just sent me a message too. Just minutes after I swiped right.

You know what that means?

He’s a bot! (that was one of the tips I gathered from all my research 😝)

Turns out Blue Eyes lives 400kms away. He's here for work and looking for a bootie call. Byyyyyyyyeeeee. Unmatch.

Down to 10 matches; 2 messages; 1 interest (Buff)

Buff and I chatted for 1.5 hrs. He appears to be sweet and funny. And yes, of course I'm skeptical! When we said goodnight, we said we'd meet back here tomorrow night 😁

Oh and after answering one of my questions, he said "I know that probably sounds corny".

If only he knew...

I'm looking for corny 😉

Day 21: January 14, 2020

Buff sent me a message at 9pm. Around the same time we started chatting last night 😊

We chatted until 10:05pm. He's so sweet and so funny. Could he really be real? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Day 22: January 15, 2020

WOWZA!!! Busy Tinder Day.

130 likes while I was at work. Men must have been on the prowl today! Swiped left on all of them.

Yes, I'm feeling empowered 🤣

When I was chatting with Cheesy tonight, she helped me realize that I had an increase in likes today (lately I've had approximately 20 per day) because I was at work in Ottawa. Not at home. So the distance preference that men selected in Ottawa resulted in me popping into their Tinder collection.

I sent Buff a good morning message then he sent me a good afternoon message.

It's okay if you want to barf. It's so cute, it makes me want to barf too 😝

I was up at 4:30am so went to bed early without chatting with Buff. Yes, I was sad. I know, I know, you want to barf again.

Around 9:30pm, I heard a ping and it was Buff. He sent me a message saying he just got in and was saying goodnight.

Settle down, Little Donkey, Settle Down. 😍

Day 23: January 16, 2020

Unmatched 5 including Local Boy 3.0

5 matches; 1 message (Buff)

Omg, omg, omg, I think Buff is trying to ask me out.

Butterflies.

I think we’re both dorks and have no clue what we’re doing.

Yup, I have a date Saturday night after I hang out with Cheesy.

I'm so nervous. Thankfully Cheesy will be there to calm me down before heading out on my date.

He had me cracking up. He's so funny and so sweet and so kind.

OMG, I'm fucked.

That'll do, Little Donkey, that'll do.

I know you want to know more about Buff but I have to tell you who liked my profile today...wait for it...Blue Jay! He's liked my profile three times now with zero contact. Duh! First time I swiped right, no messages so unmatched during my "fuck this bullshit tirade" and unmatched everyone.  Second time I swiped right, I sent him a message then he unmatched me. That just happened this week!!! Now he has swiped right again. Ugh! I’m going to swipe right again but only to see if he says something this time.

Because I’m taken already, remember?!! 😉

Blue Jay update: he unmatched me shortly after I swiped right. 😣

No words.

Day 24: January 17, 2020

No chats with Buff 😢 but it was expected.

Day 25: January 18, 2020

It's date with Buff day 😊😊😊

But Mother Nature has other plans 😭

Winter storm warning so we have postponed until further weather notice.

Instead, we chatted for three hours tonight. Best. Chats. Ever. 💝

And yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I really like him while also being optimistically cautious that once we meet, it may not be a match. If I can't believe in the possibility, why am I doing this experiment?!? So I'm enthusiastically hopeful about Buff 😍

Day 26: January 19, 2020

It's date with Buff day 🤭🤭🤭

We are meeting at a restaurant for dinner.

Yes, I'm nervous.

Yes, I feel like I'm going to barf.

Yes, I have butterflies.

Yes, I'm optimistic.

Yes, I'm thrilled to know he exists. Regardless, the physical form.

This week, Buff made me smile, he made me laugh, he made me think and he allowed me to believe in the possibilities of love again.

So yes, I quit.

Regardless of the outcome of tonight's date, I’m quitting Tinder.

I'm quitting early and ending on a happy note.

I'm shocked I made it this far 😝

No need to continue with the misadventures of Tinder. I've collected all the data I need. Experiment is officially closed.

[the crowd cheers]

No matter what happens with Buff, I’m so happy with this feeling: open to dating again; open to the possibilities; open to love.

Yes, I've experienced many Tinder fails but I honestly consider this experiment to be a success 🏆

I have learned a lot about online dating over the last few weeks.

I've also learned a lot about men.

About humanity.

About myself (most importantly!).

There's no doubt a blog post in our future about lessons learned on Tinder.

For now, it's time to shut this experiment down and get ready for my date 😊🤮

I started this horrible experiment feeling hopeful and enthusiastic.

Then the feelings shifted slightly.

I was frustrated.
I was angry.
I was sad.
I was fucking frustrated.
I was fucking pissed.
I was scared.
I was hopeless.
I was tired.
I was questioning who I am.
Who. I. Am. Really?
I was aware.
I was hopeful.
I was enthusiastic.
I was frustrated.
I was excited.
I am happy.
I am hopeful and enthusiastic.

So no, I can't say I've found love on Tinder, but I feel confident in saying I have found something even better because I have come face-to-face with myself. Oh and the things I've seen 😉

In the process, I also found a kind, funny, smart and handsome man. Possibly? 😉

I'm not in any hurry. I've waited this long 💓

And all good experiments (and blogs!) should end with a Barbra Streisand sing-along!

You're welcome 😆

Finally Found Someone...on Tinder 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment