Sunday, July 3, 2011

New Edition

Sorry but this isn’t a blog post about the “new edition” of my blog or the “new edition” of the Oxford Dictionary, or the “new edition” of the iPad.  This blog post is about my childhood!   I know what you’re thinking, “oh maaaaaannnnnn…..” but don’t worry, it will be a fun blog post (aren’t all my blog posts fun?). 
As I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts, memories of my childhood are somewhat vague with some key moments firmly locked into my brain and there are times when photos of my childhood trigger certain memories.  Of course, I had a wonderful childhood because I was raised with wonderful parents and a pain-in-the-ass younger brother (aren’t all younger brothers pains-in-the-ass?).  Opening presents on Christmas morning, blowing out the candles on my birthday cake, playing in the sandbox, swinging on the swing, playing soccer, chasing after boys, buying candy for a penny at the corner store, family vacations, catching frogs (this isn’t another reference to boys, it’s a real reference to amphibians…and no, I wasn’t trying to catch them so I could kiss them!), running in the fields, and tobogganing are some of the memories that come to my mind when I think about my childhood but some of the most vivid memories involve falling in love with John Cusack, listening to songs by Boy George (aka Culture Club) and drooling dancing to songs by New Edition.  Yes, that’s right…Ronnie, Ralph, Bobby, Michael, Ricky and Johnny!   

In 1983, their first single, “Candy Girl”, was released.  What can I say?  It was love at first sight!  I dreamed that Ronnie would sing “she’s bad, she’s bad, I know she’s bad” about me and that I would be his “candy girl” :)

I must admit that 1983 was a difficult year for me because…wait for it…I was in love with more than one boy!  Yes, that’s right.  What can I say?  At the ripe old age of 11, I was a tramp!  I was torn between my love for John Cusack (I fell in love with John in Sixteen Candles around the same time that New Edition released their first single!) and my love for Ronnie.  However, if you’ve been reading my blog since I first started writing, you’ll know that my love for John Cusack is everlasting!  It seems like just yesterday that I fell in love with him but it was 28 years ago (wow I’m old!).  But this blog post isn’t about my Future Husband; it’s about New Edition so let’s move on…
Their next hit was “Cool it Now”.  Oh man…watching that video brings back so many memories!  Mostly of me crying and wishing that I could be Ronnie’s girlfriend.  How bizarre that the tears flow whether I’m 12 or 39 years old  :P

Then came “Mr. Telephone Man”.  Check out their “Solid Gold” performance in 1985.  Remember Rick Dees on Solid Gold or maybe you remember the Solid Gold dancers?  Hey Ronnie, you can now send me a text message :)

Then “Earth Angel” which was featured in “Karate Kid II”

In 1988, New Edition released my favourite album “Heart Break” (I love every song on the album!) with my two favourite NE songs of all time “If it isn’t love” and “Can you stand the rain”:


A little music trivia for you:  one of the songs on the album was the inspiration for the name of another “boy band”.  Can you guess the name of the song/boy band?  Give up yet?  The song was “Boys to Men”, hence the boy band was “Boyz II Men”. 
Then in 1996, New Edition (with the return of Bobby Brown!) blessed us with another album (we had to wait 8 years for this album!).  My favourite song from this album was “I’m still in love with you”:

Then finally (and somewhat disappointingly!), their last album was released in 2004 with “Hot 2nite” as their first release.  They seem to be trying too hard and that’s not very appealing to their fans…at least not this fan :(

 Of course, New Edition has a rich history of members coming and going due to failed attempts at solo careers (Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvant and Johnny Gill) and breakout boy bands (Bell Biv Devoe…now you know!).  Here are some of my favourites:
Ralph’s “Sensitivity”

Bobby’s “Rock Wit’cha”

Bell Biv Devoe’s “Poison”

So why have I decided to revisit my love for New Edition?  Who wouldn't want to revisit their love for this boy band?  Wouldn't you, if you had an opportunity?  Okay, okay, the truth is that  two days ago, I read that “New Edition plans to reunite at Essence Music Festival” so of course, I started singing their songs and dreaming of Ronnie (sorry John!) so I thought it was only fair that I share my joy with you :)
If you happen to be in New Orleans today at the Essence Music Festival (lucky you!) and you are blessed with an opportuntiy to drool over see New Edition live, please let me know how it was so I can live vicariously through you :)
P.S.  You're welcome for sharing all of these New Edition videos with you.  I know, I know...A-MAZE-ING blog post :P

No comments:

Post a Comment