Sunday, October 23, 2011

My cup runneth over with kindness

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” ~ Dalai Lama

In the past three weeks, I've been able to observe, first hand, the kindness of others.  Not that it took getting sick to be the recipient of kindness because kindness has surrounded me all of my life as a giver, receiver and observer (my parents are outstanding models of kindness!) but by getting sick, I was left with no choice but to shut up, relax and receive the kindness of others (has Bell’s palsy provided me with another gift?).
As I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts, my family, friends and colleagues have gone above and beyond the call of duty to be kind to me during this time of sickness.  So much so, that some people started begging me to receive their help and to accept their kindness (thankfully, some people don't know when to stop!).  My parents and brother called every day to see if I needed anything.  Mom practically begged me to let her bring me to see the doctor.  BFF was incessant with her calls and texts begging me to let her do anything (anything???) something for me, and Neighbour sent me many texts reminding me that if I needed anything at all, to please let her know (which is also begging!).    So many calls, texts and emails from family, friends and colleagues begging wanting to find out what they could do for me (for me!).   You have no idea how thankful I am for these kind people in my life but I can’t help but wonder if unaccepted kindness turns to feelings of helplessness.  

When we are unable to receive, we deny someone else the pleasure of giving. ~ Paulo Coehlo

Who knew that accepting another person's kindness was a form of kindness?  I’d like to think that I’m pretty good at “giving” kindness or “being” kind but I must admit that I’ve never been very good at being on the receiving end of someone's kindness.  Why?  Is it possible that I have feelings of not being worthy of another’s kindness?  That’s just shameful!  But is it possible?  I need to start believing that I’m worthy and that by accepting another person’s kindness, I’m also exhibiting kindness, hence the truth of Paulo Coehlo's quote.  When the calls, texts and emails started coming in, I wasn’t sure how to respond.  Goods and services (ahem!) were being offered to me (to me!) out of kindness (aka love!).  Food was delivered, my lawn was mowed, my garbage and recycling bin were taken to the road for me for weekly pick up, my carpets were vacuumed, the cat litter box was emptied, my dishes were washed, and so much more.  Not only will I be working on boosting my feelings of worthiness, I’m a true believer in paying it forward, so I will have to come up with a “pay it forward” game plan to implement when I’m healthier.  Watch out because you never know when I might show up at your house for kindness-giving (or maybe anonymous giving is the best way?).

With kindness being the manifestation of the generosity of spirit, I've recognized that I'm blessed with people in my life who have spirits that ooze with generosity.  I've also had the opportunity to observe the kindness of strangers!  While in Toronto this week, because I’m now much more sensitive to the kindness of others, I was able to observe:
Kindness of strangers:  opening doors for others or keeping the door open for others, pushing the elevator button for others, buying coffee for the person next to you in line,  and running after someone who dropped their belongings without noticing
Corporate kindness:  a maid knocks on my door to give me free water and chocolates (didn't accept the chocolate since I’m sugarless!), letting me stay in the hotel room until 6pm even though check-out is at 11am
And the #1 act of kindness that I’ve observed this week is…wait for it…smiling!  I’ve always been the person who smiles at every one that I see but now that I can’t really smile (well, half of my face can smile!), I much appreciate seeing another person's smile.  I guess that’s how the universe finds balance….when one person can’t smile (whether for physical or emotional reasons), there is someone out there who can! 
What will you do to make someone smile today?  Can you think of a random act of kindness that you've observed or been involved in (as recipient or giver)?  



“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.”  ~  Mother Theresa


I’ve been blessed with the best job in the world (or as Oprah said beautifully on this week’s Lifeclass:  with the highest calling on Earth - being a life guide, teacher, nurturer, supporter, caregiver, honourer of a young life!): raising a daughter!  I’ve been lucky enough to raise a daughter that is full of kindness (I guess it runs in the family...ahem!).  Since she was a toddler, I have observed her ability to flex her kindness muscle whenever it is needed.  Whether she’s being kind to her friends, to her classmates, to her family, to strangers or to animals (not so much when it comes to insects though!), she has always been consistently kind.   Her kindness radar seems to always be on and she goes out of her way to be kind to others!  For that, I’m so proud.  My hope is that she has learned the most important lesson which is to be kind to herself! 
Just this week, my daughter’s kind heart shined bright when she went to a movie premiere.  Curious, I’m sure!  Well, may I just say that kindness is having a daughter who tries to set her mother up with a yummy, famous Greek-Canadian…George Stroumboulopoulos (remember I mentioned him in “All Things Ellines”?).  That’s right...my daughter’s kindness involves matchmaking!  I’m not sure exactly what the conversation entailed or if the story she told me is even true (I choose to believe it!) but it goes something like this:
Conversation between Sarah and George
Sarah:  Hi George, it’s so nice to meet you!
George:  Nice to meet you too!
Sarah:  My mother is obsessed with you loves you and wants me to give you her phone number. 
George:  Too bad she’s not here.  Tell her to send me a message through Facebook with her phone number.

Conversation between Me and Sarah
Sarah:  I just met your future husband George Stroumboulopoulos. 
Me:  I can't believe you got to meet him.  I'm so jealous!  :P
Me:  Is he taller than me?
Sarah:  Yes and he has really soft hands. 
Me:  Did you tell him that I love him?  Did you give him my number? 
Sarah:  He said that you should stop stalking him could send him a message through Facebook. 
Me:  Really???

Conversation between Me and George
Okay, so it’s not exactly a conversation since a conversation usually involves more than one person (unless I'm talking to myself!) but I searched for his Facebook page (since he begged asked me to!) and finally found it (who knew there were so many George Stroumboulopoulos’ on Facebook?) so I sent him the following message (yes, I’m pathetic!): 

Hi George,
I have no idea if this is really CBC's Strombo but in case it is, I thought I'd take a chance and send you message. First of all, I'm sure you don't want to be referred to as CBC's Strombo but it's all about quickly and easily identifying you. I'm writing because my daughter met you at the movie premiere you hosted on Tuesday night. She shook your hand and I believe (if she wasn't totally mocking me) she told you that I'm a big fan (she probably told you that I love you!) and you responded something about being able to send you a message through FB which I discovered isn't the easiest thing to do since you're not the only George Strombolopolous on FB (shocking!). Anyways, this is my message to tell you that I'm a big fan of yours and your show! My daughter said that you had really soft hands so maybe one day I'll be able to find out for myself (that probably sounded really creepy!) :)

All the best,
Tracey

After sending that message, I felt like I was 30 13 again and sending a fan letter to ‘N Sync :)
This morning, as I was checking to see if Strombo replied to my message, I noticed that on the right hand side of the screen, there was a photo of George with a button to click “Subscribe” so I clicked on the photo which brought me to his actual Facebook page.  Duh!  My apologies go out to the “fake George” who received my pathetic message yesterday.  Never one to give up, I decided to re-send my message to the “real George” (I think this makes me doubly pathetic!).  Here’s my message to Strombo:

Hi George,
I'm realizing now that I sent a message yesterday to the wrong George Stroumboulopoulos!  I'm just noticing now, on the right side of my screen, a photo of you and an opportunity to subscribe so I clicked and I'm guessing that this is the real you (funny how the universe sends you the answers you're looking for...in less than 24 hours!).  If I was truly a fan, I guess I would have noticed that the original message was sent to "Strombolopolous".  How lame that I didn't notice the spelling was wrong!  Anyways, here's the message: 
I have no idea if this is really CBC's Strombo but in case it is, I thought I'd take a chance and send you message. First of all, I'm sure you don't want to be referred to as CBC's Strombo but it's all about quickly and easily identifying you. I'm writing because my daughter met you at the movie premiere you hosted on Tuesday night. She shook your hand and I believe (if she wasn't totally mocking me) she told you that I'm a big fan (she probably told you that I love you!) and you responded something about being able to send you a message through FB which I discovered isn't the easiest thing to do since you're not the only George Strombolopolous on FB (shocking!). Anyways, this is my message to tell you that I'm a big fan of yours and your show! My daughter said that you had really soft hands so maybe one day I'll be able to find out for myself (that probably sounded really creepy!) :)
All the best,
Tracey

So what do you think?  Will he respond?  I know what you’re thinking: I’m crazy  I forgot to send him my phone number!  Well, that will have to happen in my second third message to him.  Now kindness would be having Strombo respond to my message.  Come on, George!  I’m open to receiving now :) 
Speaking of being open to kindness, I was sure, following last week's blog post, that my brother someone would have been kind and offered to clean out my closet for me but I haven't received any offers yet.  I'm just trying to be open to receiving as a way of practicing kindness :P

Not only am I open to receiving but I’m also open to giving so in honour of kindness week, I’m going to share the recipe for Neighbour’s kindness soup (she gave me permission!).  You’re welcome :)

 
Minestrone “Kindness” Soup

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
5 carrots, sliced
2 cups chicken broth (or veggie!)
2 cups water
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can green beans
3 zucchinis, quartered and sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup seashell pasta
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for topping
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:

1.  In a large stock pot, over medium-low heat, heat olive oil and saute garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots, saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
2.  Add chicken (or veggie!) broth, water and stewed tomatoes, bring to boil, stirring frequently. If desired add red wine at this point. Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, green beans, zucchini, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, the longer the better.
3.  Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add seashell pasta and cook until tender. Drain water and set aside.
4.  Once pasta is cooked and soup is heated through place 2 tablespoons cooked pasta into individual serving bowls. Ladle soup on top of pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

5.  While you enjoy your cup of soup, please remember to be kind to yourself and to one another (includes all living beings!). 


“Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution”  ~ Kahlil Gibran

1 comment:

  1. Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he/she sees all day. Also smilling is like free Botox...it lifts the features of the face.

    ReplyDelete